Foetry.Com
August 21, 2014, 10:03:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Foetry.Com v.2 Forum Archive Through May 2007

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mission Statement Feedback  (Read 9376 times)
Krede_the_Mighty

« on: November 30, 2006, 01:43:36 PM »

Excellent. Nice work. Marvelous. Is this getting a few days for group editing/editorializing and then going to the main page (or sub-page of the main Foetry.com area)?

TGWWK
Bugzita
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 03:05:16 PM »

Krede,

The bulk of the credit goes to Matt; last summer, we worked on some drafts that have been kicking around, but Matt pulled this document together.

Smiley

Bugz

ennifer Semple Siegel

One must always question wrongheaded conventional wisdom.
Monday Love
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 04:39:14 PM »

Bravo!  Great work.

hisper and eye contact don't work here.
Krede_the_Mighty

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 04:42:01 PM »

Quote from: "Bugzita"
Krede,

The bulk of the credit goes to Matt; last summer, we worked on some drafts that have been kicking around, but Matt pulled this document together.

Smiley

Bugz

Yes, cheers to Matt, but cheers to anyone who helped work on this. I think it an incredibly helpful step.

All the best,
TGWWK
alan
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 09:05:55 AM »

Matt and all the anti-Foets, this is great!  Thanks!!  I will read it more carefully over the weekend.

"You especially have to be hurt like hell before you can write seriously. But when you get the damned hurt, use it -- don't cheat with it. -- Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 09:36:04 AM »

Thanks, all!

And thanks Alan for removing some spam from this thread (I assume it was you, at least).

I am going to separate the comments from this thread and put them in a new thread for feedback.  This way, we won't have to worry about getting clutter around our policy statements.

I'm putting this in the Foetry.com Feedback section under the "Suggestion Box" forum.

-Matt

Funk not only moves, it can RE-move, dig?"
      --Sir Lollipop Man (Alias, the Long-Haired Sucker)
essence_3

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 12:02:02 PM »

Alan, Matt, Jennifer, and Other Leading Anti-Foet crew members:

The 'foetry.com' mission statement is simply excellent and should be circulated [hardcopy] on a broad scale to every institution (academic and otherwise), organization (regardless of how tightly or loosely knit) and 'publication' which purports to embrace "poetry" and/or "poets."  

Upon reading the mission statement, I felt an immediate sense of refreshment -- akin to that which one would feel upon finding the pleasure of much needed pure drinking water flowing during a desert sojourn.

Awesome!

Sincerely,

Carol Elizabeth Owens
Evans

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 05:10:36 PM »

Hello everyone,

I'm newly registered, although I admit I've been lurking for many months.

I had to register in order to read the Mission Statement, which strikes me as contrary to the purposes of the statement itself. If it is intentionally thus, could someone please explain why?

I do wholeheartedly approve of the sentiments expressed, however.

Now I do want to confess, albeit in a whisper, that I am currently pursuing an MFA. I do feel increasingly ambivalent toward it, as I find Academia to be much as you describe, and dammit I expected better! Because Academia is much as you describe, I won't be able to say all that I'd like. Maybe I will be braver when I've graduated?

Anyway, my best to all of you for the tireless work.

Evans

aveat emptor
Bugzita
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 06:33:56 PM »

Evans,

I'll check into this.

Bugz

ennifer Semple Siegel

One must always question wrongheaded conventional wisdom.
alan
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 07:05:20 PM »

Thanks for the heads up on that problem.  It should be fixed now.

:wink:

"You especially have to be hurt like hell before you can write seriously. But when you get the damned hurt, use it -- don't cheat with it. -- Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 10:14:02 AM »

The following makes a good addition to the mission statement, I think:

"Witnessing a sorry state of affairs when one is not in power is by no means a monotonous, monochromatic activity. It involves what Foucault once called 'a relentless erudition,' scouring alternative sources, exhuming buried documents, reviving forgotten (or abandoned) histories. It involves a sense of the dramatic and of the insurgent, making a great deal of one's rare opportunities to speak, catching the audience's attention, being better at wit and debate than one's opponents. And there is something fundamentally unsettling about intellectuals who have neither offices to protect nor territory to consolidate and guard; self-irony is therefore more frequent than pomposity, directness more than hemming and hawing. But there is no dodging the inescapable reality that such representations by intellectuals will neither make them friends in high places nor win them official honors. It is a lonely condition, yes, but it is always a better one than a gregarious tolerance for the way things are."
-Edward Said

hisper and eye contact don't work here.
Briggs Seekins

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 01:58:48 PM »

That's a pretty sweet quote.
Matt
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 09:30:10 AM »

The following makes a good addition to the mission statement, I think:

Done.

Thanks, Monday!

Funk not only moves, it can RE-move, dig?"
      --Sir Lollipop Man (Alias, the Long-Haired Sucker)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: