Foetry.Com
September 18, 2014, 09:46:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Foetry.Com v.2 Forum Archive Through May 2007

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Appearances  (Read 9051 times)
Matt
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2006, 03:24:22 PM »

Quote from: "Krede_the_Mighty"
I don't want to overwhelm you with work, nor seem like I'm coming here all preachy and with no skills to back them up. If this whole idea is beyond our collective (and I really do mean collective) capabilities, say so, and I'll try to come up with an alternative...

I definitely appreciate your suggestions.  But there is a penalty :lol: !

If you start making suggestions, then I start asking for more help and input.

So, I will happily set up the contest database messageboard, but we need to populate it with data.  

Any volunteers to chip in on this project?  We can start with the info that Alan has on the main site (which can be translated into a "database/categorical" format).  Then we have to cull through the forums and find whatever verifiable (and I mean legalistically verifiable) info we can add.

So, "verifiable" would mean that we can easily prove whatever relationship constitutes the "impropriety or the appearance of impropriety".  Ideally, this would be with some kind of public e-source (e.g., a web link), but if there are only paper sources, then we will need to be as specific as possible about these.  Unsubstantiated word of mouth would not be good enough.

But the good news is that, as a consumer advocate, we don't have to legally prove "cheating".  We are, in essence, coming up with a reputation assessment for contests and judges to better inform poetry contest consumers.  If a contest has done something that creates the appearance of impropriety, then it should be watch-listed.  Such appearances are legitimate reasons for not submitting money to a particular contest, press, or judge.

Consumer Reports might say: "We recommend that you don't buy this SUV, because it tips over too easily, in our opinion."  That's basically what we have to say . . . "Foetry.com recommends that you not spend your money on this contest, because the prize has been awarded to a student of the judge in the past . . . or because the contest guidelines don't assure the entrant a fair assessment of his/her work, etc."

That is, we donít need to get evangelical and dish out vigilante justice.  We are just trying to help poetry consumers to better understand how to get value for their dollars in the PoBiz.

-Matt

Funk not only moves, it can RE-move, dig?"
      --Sir Lollipop Man (Alias, the Long-Haired Sucker)
Krede_the_Mighty

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2006, 04:49:56 PM »

Quote from: "Matt"
Quote from: "Krede_the_Mighty"
I don't want to overwhelm you with work, nor seem like I'm coming here all preachy and with no skills to back them up. If this whole idea is beyond our collective (and I really do mean collective) capabilities, say so, and I'll try to come up with an alternative...

I definitely appreciate your suggestions.  But there is a penalty :lol: !

If you start making suggestions, then I start asking for more help and input.

So, I will happily set up the contest database messageboard, but we need to populate it with data.  

Any volunteers to chip in on this project?  We can start with the info that Alan has on the main site (which can be translated into a "database/categorical" format).  Then we have to cull through the forums and find whatever verifiable (and I mean legalistically verifiable) info we can add.

I'm obviously available to help collect some data. And gladly.

I'm considering just looking at, say, the list of contests in the recent [t]Poets & Writers[/i] and working my way down. I might skip over the "1st Annual" ones and go right to contests that have had a chance to work out a real formula (at least three years running).

TGWWK[/i]
N. Joy Vey
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2006, 11:33:05 AM »

I enjoy this thread.  Given its constructive qualities, I believe we could move this into the Suggestion Box arena.  I defer to Krede and Matt, and it's a minor suggestion.

Thank you, Krede, for starting this,  and incidentally, I agree with you about the Jorie joke(visual pun whathaveyou).

Feliz Martes!   Nomi

he sooner I have made my first 5000 mistakes, the sooner I will be able to correct them.

Kimon Nicolaides
alan
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2006, 11:36:14 AM »

I'll move the Jorie photo over to my personal site :twisted:

"You especially have to be hurt like hell before you can write seriously. But when you get the damned hurt, use it -- don't cheat with it.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2006, 03:54:15 PM »

Quote from: "alan"
I'll move the Jorie photo over to my personal site :twisted:

I'll see your :twisted: and toss in a  Cheesy

To N. Joy Vey - I have no problem moving the thread. Suggestions probably would have been a more constructive place to put this to begin with...

TGWWK
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: