Foetry.Com
September 01, 2014, 02:33:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Foetry.Com v.2 Forum Archive Through May 2007

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dorset Prize  (Read 18276 times)
Monday Love
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006, 09:03:18 AM »

Quote from: "Poet K"
Expat,

Take a deep breath.  A new poster called Sparky mistook Ilya Kaminsky, a fantastic young male poet, for Olena Kalytiak Davis, a fantastic young female poet.  What of it?  They're both of Ukrainian heritage, if I'm not mistaken, and they have several similar letters in their names.  I'm not sure if Ilya has been "decorated with a medal of some sort," but I do consider him probably the nation's most accomplished poet under the age of thirty and the best justification for Tupelo's existence.  He's also an incredible reader.  You can hear him read at www.fishousepoems.org

The avatars are just for fun.  By all means you can post one of your own.  Just click on "profile" on the top of the page and you'll be walked through it.

Alan, I think Kaminsky is teaching at San Diego State now.  Maybe he would tell you whether or not he received his prize money.

Thank you, K--so, Kaminsky is Tupelo's great find?  

I can see why Ilya might appeal--he attempts iconic lyricism and succeeds slightly, which is better than what many poets are doing.  

I suppose he is critic-proof since he founded Poets for Peace.  For myself, I  find his poems pretentious, melodramatic, abstracted and cliched; his poems really set off my bullsh*t meter, in fact, the way, for instance, in every other line he name-drops famous Russian writers and great Russian cities in a reverent, solemn manner, or the poetry 101-surrealism of "the empty, white page" or "the blind man in a dream" etc  It all seems very self-conscious and faux to me.   I can't believe Mr. Kaminsky  himself is not aware of how ridiculous he sounds; I'm quite sure he thinks to himself, "You are impressed because I am a Russian poet?  Jeez, anyone who is impressed because I am a Russian poet is a fool!"

Monday

hisper and eye contact don't work here.
Ed Dupree

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2006, 02:54:44 PM »

Quote from: "Monday Love"
... his poems really set off my bullsh*t meter...

Mine too, Monday. They sound like Poetry. Not good. I want poems to sound like a real person speaking incredibly well.

Ed

Could it be, we are not free? It might be worth looking into."
                    --Samuel Beckett, Molloy
Ed Dupree

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2006, 02:57:24 PM »

Scratch that. I should have said "speaking amazingly well, and credibly."

Could it be, we are not free? It might be worth looking into."
                    --Samuel Beckett, Molloy
Expatriate Poet

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2006, 11:57:03 PM »

Dear Jennifer,
   Why wouldn't "Touch Me" appeal to younger audiences? I knew this feeling before my voice had even changed, I had been that much in love with Ann Abrams (you see, I even remember her name!) and though I only touched her once in the most fleeting and innocent way, the thought of her body still reminds me of who I am!

Then I want to know why do we both agree this is a great poem--and why are Stanley Kunitz's poems so worthwhile even when they can be so daunting--in the metaphysical sense, not the goobley-gook?

Does it have anything to do with the kind of person he was?

Don't bother to reply to that question--just let your thoughts swing over to my argument that the poet or the critic of poetry I want must be "good"--though I like Ed Dupree's word "credible" just as much. Because in poetry one can be a terrible sinner yet credible like -----------and------------and-------------, but one cannot be a liar or a cheat or a con-man like--------------and---------------and--------------- and not be infected by inflation, pretention and hypocricy. I don't think any of the latter types stay in the "great" category very long before they are exposed--or just forgotten.

To get this back to the subject, if Jeffrey Levine is going to continue prominent in this field he is going to have to do something about his credibility--and that move will never be accomplished by denying his trickster side. He's got to acknowledge all the ethical lapses and somehow convince us he is doing something about them--not by protesting too much but by starting again with a new sense of dedication combined with accountability. Otherwise he and his press are done.

Christopher Woodman

Christopher Woodman
N. Joy Vey
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2006, 03:37:14 PM »

Now I  don't understand the logic or rhythm to Google and its advertising, but I am tickled by all the Tupelo Press ads that I see when I click onto various parts of www.Foetry.com

Accidental?  Intentional?

anyone else amused? Our discourse must be giving Mr. Levine and Tupelo Press a few pennies, right.  Should we send them an invoice ?:wink: Nomi

he sooner I have made my first 5000 mistakes, the sooner I will be able to correct them.

Kimon Nicolaides
Monday Love
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2006, 04:39:04 PM »

Quote from: "Bugzita"
Yes, Monday Love, Morrison was first to use "Touch Me"  as a title, but Kunitz improved upon it.

And I LOVE Morrison and The Doors. When I'm feeling particularly raucus, I'll play the Light My Fire album cranked up.  :wink:

Bugz

Wrap your Dorset Prize around my skin.  Yea-uh.

Bugzita
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2006, 05:21:58 PM »

Wrap your Dorset Prize around my skin. Yea-uh.

HA!

ennifer Semple Siegel

One must always question wrongheaded conventional wisdom.
Monday Love
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2006, 08:41:57 AM »

Quote from: "N. Joy Vey"
Now I  don't understand the logic or rhythm to Google and its advertising, but I am tickled by all the Tupelo Press ads that I see when I click onto various parts of www.Foetry.com

anyone else amused? Our discourse must be giving Mr. Levine and Tupelo Press a few pennies, right.  Should we send them an invoice ?:wink: Nomi

We are feeding the hand that bites us?

alan
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2006, 12:40:38 PM »

Actually, if someone visits the adv3rteyezm3nt, Tupelo has to pay google, who has to pay foetry.:lol:

Quote from: "Monday Love"
Quote from: "N. Joy Vey"

We are feeding the hand that bites us?

"You especially have to be hurt like hell before you can write seriously. But when you get the damned hurt, use it -- don't cheat with it.” -- Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2006, 02:19:21 PM »

I am such a green internet practitioner!  oy vey.

Note well, Tupelo press applicants(supplicants?), the deadline for the Dorset Prize applications is Nigh!

I learned this by visiting their ad.   Nomi

he sooner I have made my first 5000 mistakes, the sooner I will be able to correct them.

Kimon Nicolaides
Matt
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2006, 09:36:19 AM »

Christopher, Monday, Bugz, Ed, and anyone else participating in or following the conversation about poetry, integrity, Kunitz, Morrison, and a number of other things . . . I split these posts off and moved them to the Poetic Trends Forum.

The new thread is called Judging Poetry and Integrity.  I haven't been able to follow along (due to lack of time), but it seems like a very interesting discussion, and I hope it will continue.  The discussion was diverse enough that I didn't really know how to title the thread . . . so please suggest something more appropriate if the current title seems ill-fitting.

Thanks,
Matt
Foetry.com Admin

Funk not only moves, it can RE-move, dig?"
      --Sir Lollipop Man (Alias, the Long-Haired Sucker)
alan
Administrator

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2007, 06:29:17 PM »

Thanks to Isaac B for the notice that the Dorset Prize has been announced.

Elixir Press, CSU, and University of Denver.  Hmmm.

Dorset Prize Results

We congratulate Sandra Meek of Mount Berry, Georgia, who has won for Biogeography, a vivid and exciting collection that looks outward at the world in poems that are as rich in ideas as in language. Poem after poem in Biogeography teaches us something new about the architecture of human thought and desire, and the result is a transcendent experience for the reader. She will receive $10,000, plus publication and national & international distribution of her book by Consortium Book Sales & Distribution and Tupelo Press.

Sandra Meek is the author of Nomadic Foundations and Burn, most recently published by Elixir Press (January, 2005). She was awarded both the Georgia Author of the Year Award in Poetry and the Peace Corps Writers Award for Poetry in 2003, both for her collection Nomadic Foundations (Elixir, 2002). She has also published a chapbook, The Circumference of Arrival (Elixir, 2001), and her poems have appeared in Poetry, The Kenyon Review, Shenandoah, The Iowa Review, Prairie Schooner, Conjunctions, Denver Quarterly, The Georgia Review, Colorado Review, and many others and have been featured on the websites Poetry Daily, Verse Daily, and Poetry Net's "Poet of the Month." A four-time nominee for the Pushcart Prize, Meek was awarded Editors' Choice for the 2002 James Wright Award, given by Mid-American Review. (12/2003). She is an assistant professor of English at Berry College, where she teaches creative writing and contemporary literature. She served as a Peace Corps volunteer in Botswana from 1989 to 1991, and received an M.F.A. from Colorado State University and a Ph.D. from the University of Denver.

Other Finalists:

Runner up: Katherine Soniat of Blacksburg, VA for The Swing Girl

Ciaran Berry of New York, NY for The Sphere of Birds
Monica Ferrell of Brooklyn, NY f or Beasts for the Chase
Noah Eli Gordon of Denver, CO for exciting facts from the physical world!
Sandra Miller of Roanoke, VA for Chora
Mary Molinary of Memphis, TN for What it Means to Walk Upright
David Mutschlencer of Los Alamos, NM for Spirations
Brian Swann of New York, NY for The Gist
Terri Witek of DeLand, FL for The Shipwreck Dress

Semifinalists:

Annie Boutelle, Florence, MA, Not Even the Stones
Carl Casinghino, Hatfield, MA, The Heathen Cartographer
Christina Cook, Hanover, NH, Out of the Blue
Caroline Crumpacker, Rhinebck, NY, Recherche Theories
Sally Dawidoff, New, York, NY, Substitute
Michael Tod Edgerton, Providence, RI, Vitreous Hide
Sarah Estes Graham, Charlottesville, VA, Fall Gently to the River
Alex Grant, Chapel Hill, NH, Fear of Moving Water
James Harms, Morgantown, WV, Other Summers
Heather Hartley, Paris, France, Knock Knock
Michael Heffernan, Fayettevill, AK, At the Bureau of Divine Music
Diane Kirsten Martin, San Francisco, CA, Demimonde
Erika Meitner, Washington, DC, Makeshift Instructions for Vigilant Girls
Rusty Morrison, Richmond, CA, Necessary Backward Rowing
David Mutschlecner, Los Alamos, NM, Spirations
Edward Nobles, Bangor ME, Queen of Truth
Margaret Rabb, Seattle, WA, Nothing To Forgive
Helen Klein Ross, New York, NY, Because I Can Come Only This Far With You
Harriet Torr, Caithness, Scotland, The Thinking Man’s Fish
G.C. Warldrep, Gambier, OH, Archicembalo
Charles Harper Webb, Glendale, CA, Shadow Ball
Marlys West, Culver City, CA, In a Wax Village (a dictionary of lies)
Gail Wronsky, Topanga, CA, With Parted Eye
Martha Zweig, Hardwick, VT, Monkey Lightning

"You especially have to be hurt like hell before you can write seriously. But when you get the damned hurt, use it -- don't cheat with it.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Jump to: