Foetry.Com
August 21, 2014, 12:01:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Foetry.Com v.2 Forum Archive Through May 2007

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some questions  (Read 5966 times)
alan
Administrator

« on: July 25, 2006, 09:03:36 AM »

The American Poetry Review/Honickman First Book Prize in Poetry - 2007
Judge: Brenda Hillman

You'll remember Hillman from such prizes as Georgia, given to her friend, Laura Mullen, and Sawtooth, given to her student, Aaron McCullough.  You'll recall that she selected something like six winners at New Issues; I'm still unsure if any were a fix.

But wait . . .  At her request, work by students of the judge (Brenda Hillman) will not be considered for the prize.

I still have a few questions.  What about her friends?  What about the screeners' friends?  What about Forrest Gander's friends?  Are they fair game?

And I've said it before, but I'll write it here:  Why is it that seemingly every contest has been judged by Hillman in the past few years?  Are there no other poets willing to read 10 manuscripts for a couple grand?

"You especially have to be hurt like hell before you can write seriously. But when you get the damned hurt, use it -- don't cheat with it. -- Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 09:17:28 AM »

I guess the logic is her having judged poetry contests (but has she judged well, that is, with integrity?) qualifies her to judge poetry contests.  Besides the poor record in integrity--would any accounting firm that oversees real contests allow such blatant conflicts of interest? certainly not!--I have serious aesthetic concerns, namely, she's not a very good poet.  But she is a well connected poet, and for some contest organizers and contestants, that's what really matters.  At least the early announcement of the judge allows potential contestants to plan accordingly.  I will not enter.

Leander
Wilson

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 10:27:49 AM »

I am weighing out the trade-offs: Keeping Hillman busy enough to not write; or having to dust off my old code books and no-doze to read another Hillman poem.  It is a tough choice ... can I have what is behind Door Number 3 instead?

his is the abyss--quit staring!

Wils
jimmy

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 11:04:50 PM »

I e-mailed her--I'll let you know what I hear...

xxxjimmy

jimmy

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 01:17:42 AM »

Quick, hunh? She asked APR to place that in the ad. She will get 25 manuscripts pre-screened and feels that students and friends are forewarned to not enter...

xxxjimmy

alan
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 09:16:06 AM »

Yeah -- she's quick alright.  Thanks for contacting her.

"You especially have to be hurt like hell before you can write seriously. But when you get the damned hurt, use it -- don't cheat with it. -- Ernest Hemingway

Jump to: