Foetry.Com
August 01, 2014, 11:53:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Foetry.Com v.2 Forum Archive Through May 2007

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: From a tipster  (Read 18246 times)
leander

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2006, 01:48:33 PM »

On the Yale contest,

I do know for a fact that there have been times in the not too distant past when Yale grad students were screening the manuscripts (I assume they still do) and some of the Yale junior faculty were submitting their manuscripts--and what do you know, those junior profs made the short list!  For all the alleged prestige of the contest, it has often been abysmally run.  That could explain why so many winners never develop into significant poets.

Leander
alan
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2006, 02:50:45 PM »

and I have recently chatted up yohejohn and like him too, so I hope everyone can just get along.

Tongue

"You especially have to be hurt like hell before you can write seriously. But when you get the damned hurt, use it -- don't cheat with it.” -- Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2006, 05:26:32 PM »

Quote from: "leander"
On the Yale contest,

I do know for a fact that there have been times in the not too distant past when Yale grad students were screening the manuscripts (I assume they still do) and some of the Yale junior faculty were submitting their manuscripts--and what do you know, those junior profs made the short list!  For all the alleged prestige of the contest, it has often been abysmally run.  That could explain why so many winners never develop into significant poets.

Leander

If anyone has any specific evidence to Yale's participation to this unethical practice, please PM me or Matt, and we'll look into it.

This is just the kind of maleficence we'd like to see stopped, once and for all.

Bugz

ennifer Semple Siegel

One must always question wrongheaded conventional wisdom.
Wilson

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2006, 05:33:21 PM »

When I think of students screening manuscripts for contests, I shiver.  This would be the main reason why I would NEVER send a manuscript to a University contest.  As a professional writer why on earth would I want my manuscript evaluated by a student?  I\'m not even sure most students would be capable of writing a cogent paper on one of my manuscripts let alone judge it. Looking at the culture (for lack of a better word) of the university, especially in writing programs, I would rather send my manuscript to a contest run by vagabonds.

Stay away from University Presses unless you have been invited to submit a manuscript by the editorial staff.  Let the state subsidize their operations.  You can make a better difference giving your money to an indy press or better yet giving it the shelter down the street.

With regards to anything with the words Younger or Young or New in it.  I am not convinced that this is a good thing.  I can pull about twenty anthologies published over the past 25 years that have these words in their titles.  Most are full of people you have never heard of or have already forgotten.

his is the abyss--quit staring!

Wils
Monday Love
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2006, 11:17:42 AM »

Quote from: "alan"
and I have recently chatted up yohejohn and like him too, so I hope everyone can just get along.

Tongue

If Alan thinks yohejohn is cool, then yohejohn is cool.

Yohejohn,

I'm sorry if I sounded like a smartass.

Monday

hisper and eye contact don't work here.
Ed Dupree

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2006, 02:50:47 PM »

Hey, I've been away from the forums for a while, and have just read this thread. I want to defend half-rhymes a bit. Whether they're very audible or not, they can be very useful as an aid to composition. Searching for any kind of rhyme sends me to places I'd never go otherwise. --And half- or slant- or off-rhyme can sound pretty dern good too:

On limestone quarried near the spot,
By his command these words are cut....

Or take Wilfred Owen's

Happy are men who yet before they are killed
Can let their blood run cold....

But cursed are dullards whom no cannon stuns,
That they should be as stones....

Of couse, writing less audible ones just to show off, or reading them and being wowed by the meer show of skill, is crappy, as Monday says.

Ed

Could it be, we are not free? It might be worth looking into."
                    --Samuel Beckett, Molloy
TripivReturns

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2006, 08:58:26 AM »

I think, Wilson, the poster called Monday an "ass"  because of the snide reply he made to the poster's attempt at discussing rhyme (half rhyme, off rhyme, consonant rhyme, whatever).  Monday, true to form, began his response with a kind of grand dismissive flourish:  

Monday wrote:
You are a “fan” of Mr. Merwin’s? Do you cheer when we walks into the room?

I can see how someone might be irritated by such a response.  Monday likes to assume the moral and intellectual highground from wherever it is he's drifted or taken up permanent houseguest residence.  It is tiring and as unearned as the fraudulently awarded prizes he's come here to decry.
Wilson

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2006, 06:54:37 PM »

And why are you lumping me in with Mr. Love?

My advice is the same sage advice I would offer any fool with money.

The mere fact that you have a group of students reading manuscripts is dreadful enough.  What do students bring to this table exactly? If you are an inferior poet with hopes of impressing someone, then the idea of students reading and sorting the manuscripts might actually be of favor to you.  

I happen to like rhyme.  Stick that in your cornhole and pipe it.

Wils
Monday Love
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2006, 08:07:40 AM »

Quote from: "TripivReturns"
I think, Wilson, the poster called Monday an "ass"  because of the snide reply he made to the poster's attempt at discussing rhyme (half rhyme, off rhyme, consonant rhyme, whatever).  Monday, true to form, began his response with a kind of grand dismissive flourish:  

Monday wrote:
You are a “fan” of Mr. Merwin’s? Do you cheer when we walks into the room?

I can see how someone might be irritated by such a response.  Monday likes to assume the moral and intellectual highground from wherever it is he's drifted or taken up permanent houseguest residence.  It is tiring and as unearned as the fraudulently awarded prizes he's come here to decry.

Tripiv,

How can I take the "moral and intellectual highground" while being "snide?"   You impart powers to me I do not have.  

I never take the "moral highground," for otherwise I would know my place before the great W.S. Merwin.  

As for the "intellectual highground," I do not know what this is.  Always being correct?  According to you?  

Let me state for the record that I never take the "moral or the intellectual highground."  

I am merely "snide."  

It is you who occupy the "highground," since you both over-praise and hate my malicious behavior.  

How can I be anything but "snide" to someone as clever as you?

Respectfully,

Monday

hisper and eye contact don't work here.
Wilson

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2006, 09:56:23 AM »

Do not forget the passing judgment on you--that has to be big in the ole high grounder rules o thumb.

Wils
carnold

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2006, 11:46:01 AM »

Cute parody.  Might want to work on the meter a little bit, though.

And you're right, I don't know you, Mr. or Ms. Monday.  Who are you, anyway?

-CA
alan
Administrator

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2006, 10:25:27 AM »

I guess there's no reason Arnold should respond to my message when ML didn't respond to A's.  Anyway, here's what I sent to our Yale Younger Poet:

Any of this true?

Here’s what I heard…Arnold was J.D. McClatchy’s student. McClatchy is editor of what Review. You guessed it. Yale Review. That was surely an inside job. Speaking of job, McClatchey must make it his job to give Arnold awards. Guess who is in Rome for the year courtesy of J.D.? Yeppers. The guy who now runs the American Academy of Arts & Letters, poetry-wise, is none other than J.D.

Thanks for joining up -- I believe I saw you lurking from Rome, no?

Take care,
Al

He stopped by to pick up the message, but hasn't answered.

"You especially have to be hurt like hell before you can write seriously. But when you get the damned hurt, use it -- don't cheat with it.” -- Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2006, 02:28:42 PM »

Alan, you are probably a bit of bad beef or potato in an otherwise happy career.  Perhaps all Arnold needs is a good night sleep and he can wake up tomorrow and it will be beautiful day in the neighborhood again.  Hey, it is not like he is reenacting a scene from Basketball Diaries where he is blowing some J(ohn) in a shithouse stall for money so he can score.  No, it is so much more cleaner than that: and there are handywipes for when everyone is done.

Wils
alan
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2006, 10:11:24 PM »

Yale, Brown, Harvard.  What other crooked "ivy" institutions are involved?

Jump to: