Foetry.Com
October 31, 2014, 09:44:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Foetry.Com v.2 Forum Archive Through May 2007

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Who did Janet Holmes incorrectly implicate and/or suggest was the person behind foetry.com before Alan got outed?  (Voting closed: May 19, 2006, 08:45:12 PM)
Andrew Mister - 2 (13.3%)
Michael Hoerman - 1 (6.7%)
Jim Behrle - 1 (6.7%)
Andrew and Michael - 4 (26.7%)
Jeffrey Levine - 0 (0%)
Jim and Jeffrey - 0 (0%)
Jim, Andrew, and Michael - 0 (0%)
Michael, Andrew, and Jeffrey - 2 (13.3%)
Dana Gioia - 2 (13.3%)
Dana, Andrew, and Michael - 3 (20%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Who Is Foetry?  (Read 15679 times)
alan
Administrator

« on: May 19, 2006, 08:45:12 PM »

Janet Holmes made some really bad guesses as to the identity of Foetry's admin.  As some of you know, I have about a year's worth of her emails, and many of you read her blog.  So the question is . . .

Who did Janet Holmes incorrectly implicate and/or suggest was the person behind foetry.com before Alan got outed?

I will post the correct answer in a week.

"You especially have to be hurt like hell before you can write seriously. But when you get the damned hurt, use it -- don't cheat with it. -- Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 10:05:07 AM »

Two of you answered correctly.  Just when you thought she couldn't get any worse, I have revealed a few secrets from Holmezilla's emails.

"You especially have to be hurt like hell before you can write seriously. But when you get the damned hurt, use it -- don't cheat with it. -- Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 02:51:53 PM »

Remember Poet K's report from AWP a few years ago?

An audience member named Jason Lee identified himself as the winner of Tupelo's fiction contest for 2001 or 2002 and said that they broke their contract with him. He said he won their contest, signed a contract, got a job that was partly contingent on the book coming out, and then had Tupelo back out. Larimer didn't want to comment much without knowing the specifics, but he suggested getting a lawyer, and Lee said a lawyer told him it would be too much of a hassle because he and the press were in different states.

Janet Holmes revealed some of the background to the story in an email dated January 12, 2005:
It's ironic, because Tupelo's first fiction award contest (not the one they are currently calling their first) "awarded" the prize to a person named Jeffrey (Jason?) Lee (Levine judged), but rescinded it when they decided the manuscript really wasn't very good.  Then they published Al's [Greenberg, Janet's husband] book, which they'd named as a runner-up.  No prize money awarded, natch.  It's the kind of behavior that would make Foetry flip out--but of course it's fiction, not poetry . . .

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 03:23:57 PM »

Whatever the case, I & others are completely devoted to u:

... And their combined reward will be no greater and no lesser than what will be won by a piece of dried turd. It's a reward beyond thought."

Jack Kerouac, The Scripture Of The Golden Eternity
alan
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 03:45:28 PM »

Quote from: "Alexandra Benjamin"

I'm going to start a cult. :twisted:

Boo on Sawtooth!  Boo on Tupelo!  Worship me! :roll:

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 04:14:17 PM »

Okay: normally, this has no appeal to me but HEY! HUMMM: sign me up & give me ah library card now that cuts like razor paper!

... And their combined reward will be no greater and no lesser than what will be won by a piece of dried turd. It's a reward beyond thought."

Alexandra Benjamin

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 04:31:42 PM »

Actually Al, I have been unwilling, up until NOW!, able to admit this but, er, I am an honorary member of HEAVEN'S GATE & at this very milisec, wearing my Niks, bk clothing but i am ssoooo inclinded towards the purple aspect of this that, HUH?[/code]

Matt
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 04:45:04 PM »

Quote from: "alan"
Quote from: "Alexandra Benjamin"

I'm going to start a cult. :twisted:

Boo on Sawtooth!  Boo on Tupelo!  Worship me! :roll:

I have commissioned a 20 foot bust . . . which will also serve as our new logo.

Alan, you are the new Bob Dobbs!

-Matt

Funk not only moves, it can RE-move, dig?"
      --Sir Lollipop Man (Alias, the Long-Haired Sucker)
Alexandra Benjamin

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 04:57:26 PM »

O! yeah, babe!

Alexandra Benjamin

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 01:59:51 PM »

I confess, I was deliberately avoiding finding out about Levine in this Boisy inspired mess (think Holmes is Ms. Idaho Potato Head, as a young friend of mine suggested? well, I did laugh). I am sick now. I do think highly of Levine's guidelines, how they are written, so clearly and such implied fairness.

I am starting to see the, as my mentor describes it, >web of vipers nest< connecting: where there is one, there seems to be another feeding off the same source. The source, in the end, is MONEY, closely followed by POWER & FAME, and at a cost that is financed by poets' entry fees, grants, funding of some sort, and here is the weakest link, in my opinion: tax payers money.

In what regard does the Sawtooth Poetry Prize recieve funding from the state of Idaho? Idaho State U at Boisy recieves money from the state; what example would be a more direct connection? The good working class folks of the state would be really upset if their money was being used here improperly, yes? Like, maybe an article for a Idaho newspaper that would spell this out? HUMMM: what editor would take such an article? HUMMM

mockery

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 09:34:54 AM »

janet's a nasty person.  what else is in her email?

i hope none of her dreadful poems.
Alexandra Benjamin

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 10:54:39 AM »

I think the time will come, sooner or later, that foetrydotcom researchers will investigate Jeffery Levine of Tupelo Press, as well as the press itself. Something like: the man and the press. Or would that be Levine's press? is this a legal statement or one of self power, power, perhaps, that is out of control and should be watched by members and tipsters out there in cyberland.

Voices?

... and thanks Janet. I mean, if you had not been so out there, I might have never thought of this. That is, up until now.

I do get my PMs yall, ya know?

HUMMM

alan
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2006, 02:53:10 PM »

:twisted:

Hello Louisville

:twisted:

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2006, 03:17:55 PM »

You are one scary dude Alan. Keep up the good work hon!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: