Foetry.Com
April 23, 2014, 10:43:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Foetry.Com v.2 Forum Archive Through May 2007

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Pinsky (wusses out)  (Read 9734 times)
alan
Administrator

« on: April 17, 2006, 06:03:42 PM »

Tomorrow Robert Pinsky will be chatting live on the Washington Post website.  I plan to ask him about the state of poetry publishing via contests and hope a few of you will join me.  Here is the link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2006/04/17/DI2006041700303.html

I think you may have to register to get in.  The other option is getting a login/password through http://bugmenot.com/view.php?url=www.washingtonpost.com

Robert Pinsky, who was featured in Book World's annual Poet's Choice issue, will be online Tuesday, April 18, at 3 p.m. ET to field questions and comments about his work and the state of poetry in this country.

The author of six books of poetry, Robert Pinsky teaches in the graduate writing program at Boston University and is the poetry editor at Slate. Pinsky served as the United States Poet Laureate between 1997 and 2000.

"You especially have to be hurt like hell before you can write seriously. But when you get the damned hurt, use it -- don't cheat with it.” -- Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 11:29:49 PM »

Speaking of personal conflicts of interest: my best friend from prep teaches here, MIT, and UM-Ann Arbor. If he was listening in or saw my goofy text, ... well, he knows me like the back of his hand. Further, his wife is a Yale English grad and rubs in with the English Department at Boston. My Uncle Ira was a grad there as well so here is what I will do: I will be praying for you Alan, and all members that go in for support. Will Monday, Wils, Poetastin, David, or Steven be there for you as well, Alan? I have class tomorrow and need to study for a pop quiz. Holy shit!

Prayer is powerful. I am a prayer warrior.

Yours,
Alexa

... And their combined reward will be no greater and no lesser than what will be won by a piece of dried turd. It's a reward beyond thought."

Jack Kerouac, The Scripture Of The Golden Eternity
alan
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 04:26:05 PM »

Portland, Ore: Mr. Pinsky,

It's an honor to be able to ask a question of you. As I'm sure you know, poetry contests are under intense scrutiny these days. I wonder if you would comment on book contests in general, and also answer a question: Why is it that many poets of your stature are quite outspoken about social justice issues, but few are willing to speak out against the corruption documented on websites like foetry.com?

Thank you

Robert Pinsky: I can't speak for "poets of . . stature" but possibly "social justice issues" seem more important to them?

Boo!

"You especially have to be hurt like hell before you can write seriously. But when you get the damned hurt, use it -- don't cheat with it.” -- Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 07:21:39 PM »

I need to take a shower and get ready for class. UNBELIEVABLE! This is Pinsky's response? Well, I say revoke his poet's licence. How long will his kind hold on to impunity?

I have to go. Sent PMs; tried to be there online w/u but besides the issue above, there is my class. No pop quiz tonite, thank god.

I prayed fer u at sunrise. Thought of Jack Kerouac's Golden Eternity and felt your question would be strong, regardless of Pinsky's response.

Your question was strong. Pinsky is weak!

Best
Alexa

... And their combined reward will be no greater and no lesser than what will be won by a piece of dried turd. It's a reward beyond thought."

adamhardin

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 11:41:32 PM »

Its always a real disappointment to see poets with talent like Pinsky who just don't have balls, or are too lazy or too comfortable to speak out. Creeley was  a major disappointment to me as well.  

This is one of the reasons I champion Bukowski so much, because he was once described as " for the people in comfortable literary circles, their worst nightmare, something they thought could never come true."The worst nightmare means a real genius who doesn't play by their rules, doesn't suck up to them, and becomes a major literary influence in their world, and simply is a stronger writer. That is what they fear.

They pretend to be offended by his vulgarity, subject matter, misogyny.

Bullshit, they can't stand his genius.

Its like if Tarrantino told a group of struggling independent film makers, that the Hollywood system was a good thing, and they should sell out, and try to make dumb commercial films.

Can you hear him say, "What are you doing trying to make your own film. No, go to film school, sit in class, and let a Professor who has never made a film before tell you how, and fill your heads with film theory. And then start working at MTV shooting videos for JLO. Some day you too can make films like McG and Michael Bay. "

arold Bloom's accountant does not know how Harold managed to effortlessly transition their discussion of annuities to Falstaff but he suspects a similar ploy was used to sexually harrass Naomi Wolf.
leander

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 08:51:07 AM »

Well done, Alan.
Cowardly done, R Pinsky.  Now go collect a prize from your friends whom you dare not offend.

Leander
jimmy

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 12:41:31 PM »

Well, in all fairness I think the answer probably sounded better aloud in the man's humming Camaro of a voice.

xxxjimmy

alan
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 02:28:52 PM »

http://www.slate.com/id/2140565/

I think we should have a contest for best verse directed at Pinsky's "cowardly response."  Any takers?

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 02:44:17 PM »

Send me the full script of Pinsky's milk toast response to yr respectful and fine question for him concerning, weellll, the foetry bound "poety scent" in the US. I had trouble w/login at the Washington Post online/live chat. I might do it in a West coast rant sorta way fer fun cause it is so outsider and done these days. I have a lot on my plate now but hey! I might be tha one to try. ASK Monday Love; now there is a sure fire one to cock the trigger!

Traditional verse and response is not a problem. Will research and try if my class req this semester does not stop! me, I hope. Just remind me and I will see what I cando.

Also, post this "project" to a new member "duckyd" and I think this person is good to go on that. If I don't see something from duck here, I will send a PM on this. Duck is a busy person but this might get the rise from him.

alan
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 02:54:17 PM »

Sadly, that is the full text above.  One sentence.

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 02:56:28 PM »

"Holy Shit!" Okay, give me a bit.

I need recovery time here. Regroup. Later ...

alan
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 04:08:22 AM »

In latest news.

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 04:43:52 PM »

Pinsky joked about poets wanting to work the word ‘crappy’ into a poem?  

In Pinsky's poem “First Things At Hand,” (the first one you see when you google him) we have this: “Even in the joke, the three/Words American men say/After making love, Where’s/The remote? In the tears/In things, proximate, intimate.”

Pinsky liked the joke, “What three words do American say after making love?  Where’s the remote?” so much, that there the joke sits, in his poem, ‘his’ joke forever.  There’s a certain shameless stupidity to this gesture, and I think it sums Pinsky up.  He wants desperately to prove that poetry is real stuff made by real people, and he’ll work lame jokes into his poems to prove it.  

Pinsky seems embarrassed by poetry; he would rather eat scraps from the table of worldliness than dine with a disinterested muse.  When a guy who owes his name to poetry is embarrassed by it, you’ve got problems, and it explains why, when asked pointblank what he thought of foetry he quipped (desperately) “maybe the poets care more about social issues”—for Pinsky, poetry doesn’t matter, only what poetry can cynically attach itself to matters.  

Poetry exists as a platform for Pinsky’s jokes and pop references, and mostly it exists so that Robert Pinsky can endlessly remind us that he was once Poet Laureate--and stooped to find out what a bunch of people’s favorite poems were.  

Pinsky is another one of those Johnny Appleseeds of poetry that poetry doesn’t need, for he is finally boring and attention-getting, not incisive.  

He’s the sort of man who says everything for effect: he recites poetry in a horribly outré manner; he’ll order horrible take-out cliche before making a meal himself—this would be intolerable even in a young, eager poet, but Pinsky by now should be in a better place; he’s obviously wishing he were poet laureate again; it wouldn’t be so sad if he were a better poet, but he’s really gone downhill, and the poems I used to like by him 15 years ago are not holding up very well--in retrospect, he made too many easy pop-cred choices.

Audiences are now looking at Pinsky and thinking, "Crappy..." and “Where’s the remote?”

hisper and eye contact don't work here.
alan
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 09:43:03 PM »

Monday, you are always so brilliant.  You should be poet laureate.  Really.

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2007, 01:14:43 PM »

Thanks, Alan, but I'm not brilliant, I'm just  mean.  :lol:

hisper and eye contact don't work here.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: