Foetry.Com
April 24, 2014, 09:31:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Foetry.Com v.2 Forum Archive Through May 2007

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Creative Writing MFA Handbook / web site  (Read 3320 times)
poetastin

« on: January 30, 2006, 07:13:25 PM »

For Foetry readers applying to an MFA program (or just for the curious), I've found this site extremely useful. Tom Kealey, a former Stegner fellow, has written The Creative Writing MFA Handbook, the first book of its kind.

"The Handbook [and web site] offers an overview of the graduate writing experience, profiles of fifty Creative Writing programs, advice about the application process, and insight into making the best choice of programs. There is a comprehensive list of all graduate writing programs, both in and outside the United States, a list of helpful sources on and offline, and interviews with teachers and students, including George Saunders, Aimee Bender, Geoffrey Wolff, and Tracy K. Smith. "

The site tackles hundreds of questions from those desperate for insight into the cryptic MFA process. Kealey doesn't shy away from honest opinions, either. In fact, there was a recent 'mini-controversy' when he failed to include Iowa in his list of Top 10 schools.

Also available by e-mail (in one of the weekly 'mailbags') are hundreds of sample poems by instructors of various programs.

http://creative-writing-mfa-handbook.blogspot.com/

I've inherited a tragedy...
alan
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 07:23:22 PM »

Quote from: "poetastin"

The site tackles hundreds of questions from those desperate for insight into the cryptic MFA process. Kealey doesn't shy away from honest opinions, either. In fact, there was a recent 'mini-controversy' when he failed to include Iowa in his list of Top 10 schools.

No Iowa!!!!  I am SHOCKED :roll:

Seriously, I'm sure Iowa used to be at the top, but is there anyone teaching there in poetry now who "got there" on their own?

And 50 programs seems like a VERY small sample considering how many there are now.  Still, I'll order this for my library.

"You especially have to be hurt like hell before you can write seriously. But when you get the damned hurt, use it -- don't cheat with it. -- Ernest Hemingway

Jump to: