Foetry.Com
April 25, 2014, 01:00:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Foetry.Com v.2 Forum Archive Through May 2007

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Fauxcast 1  (Read 26633 times)
alan
Administrator

« on: January 06, 2006, 12:17:49 PM »

The first podcast is now available.  Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

"You especially have to be hurt like hell before you can write seriously. But when you get the damned hurt, use it -- don't cheat with it. -- Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 01:20:56 PM »

I enjoyed that.  I've read a couple of book published by Red Hen (by Gaylord Brewer and Lynnell Edwards), and they're not only good books, they're gorgeously designed.  I didn't realize that they began as a collective and they became a nonprofit.  Interesting.  

I thought that both you and Kate Gale went a bit easy on Ausable's former practice of requiring people to submit reading fees outside of a contest.  You said you thought the fee was nominal, but the way I remember it, it started at $15 and then jumped up to $20 and then maybe to $25, and at the time they were publishing established people like CK Williams, so my guess was that reading fees from unknowns would be used to publish the books that Ausable already wanted to publish.  They do seem to be publishing more unknown people now, though I wonder about their screening process.  The current issue of Small Press Review contains a scathing review of a book that they just published by a twenty-one year old.  

Anyway, the university press  of the University of Florida System (housed at University of Central Florida, I think) is an example of a press that does charge a nominal reading fee ($7, last time I checked) outside of a contest.  To me, that's a lot more defensible than what Ausable was doing.  It looked like the editors at Ausable asked themselves, *how can we keep the fundraising aspects of a contest without incurring the costs of actually publishing a winning book*?  An even better model, in my opinion, is for publishers to say *there's no reading fee, but before we take the time to read your manuscript, we want you to support our press by buying one book directly from us*.
jimmy

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 01:32:05 PM »

I love the theme song! The interview was good--she was a little soft but that might just be this computer...had to put on headphones and was better.

Hopefully there will be room for a poetry roundtable with me, Monday, Wilson and Mallie in a future 'cast.

xxxjimmy

jimmy

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 01:49:59 PM »

The B-52s song was funny. I think Janet would be a good guest, too.

xxxjimmy

alan
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 05:08:54 PM »

I have tweaked the file a bit, so hopefully it's louder now.  I used to edit sound files on reel to reel with scotch tape and this computer editing is tricky.

K, yes, I agree that we were probably too soft on Ausable, especially if they're collecting from regular joes to publish someone like CKW.  Maybe now that they're no longer passing the hat . . .

The theme is an old Eurythmics song.  I was thinking of using Lies by the Thompson Twins, but that wouldn't really cover everything that I want to talk about on the show.  Plus I didn't want to get teased for liking the TTwins -- it hurts!

I'm trying to figure out the VOIP conferencing -- so maybe a roundtable will be a possibility in the future.  Jimmy, I was thinking of having you host a foetry mad libs, where you say, "I need a noun, a verb, etc." and then you read the poem that was written by a foet, but rewritten by you and your guest . . . but this was way time-consuming, so I'm not there yet.

Thanks for the UnivFL tip!

"You especially have to be hurt like hell before you can write seriously. But when you get the damned hurt, use it -- don't cheat with it. -- Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 05:13:55 PM »

I'm sorry I teased you about the Thompson Twins.

I'm willing to help in almost any way for the fauxcast...let me know...I could read Jorie poems in funny voices...

Think about having Janet on though...that could get bigger numbers than O'Reilly v. Letterman.

xxxjimmy

alan
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 05:41:26 PM »

Quote from: "jimmy"
I'm sorry I teased you about the Thompson Twins.

They deserve it.  It was funny!

I'm willing to help in almost any way for the fauxcast...let me know...I could read Jorie poems in funny voices...

Hmmmm.  Sounds good.

Think about having Janet on though...that could get bigger numbers than O'Reilly v. Letterman.

But I wanted to read her private emails on the show . . .

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 06:47:15 PM »

Interesting interview with Kate Gale.  I was with her until the end, when I suddenly developed a strong antipathy for her.  When the topic turned to milking authors for fund raising ideas in order to publish their book, it all seemed very cheap and paltry and you could read the resentment in her voice for authors who refuse to play ball.  It reminded me of the fuckers in school who are always scholarship hunting and always, no matter how banal, insignificant, and repulsive they are as individuals, seem to squirm a fit into some norm, conform to some collective from which they can profit.  Basically, Kate is saying that you have to be one of those to be published.  No edgaralanpoes for her.  You have to get with the program, have a heavy resume, extracurricular hustle, to be given the favor of being published - and it is a favor, she points out with bristling contempt.  Then she proceeds to read two feculent nuggets leaked by one of these winners, who, no doubt, is fabulous at filling out 15 page grant applications, has the right race/residency/sexual orientation to be worthy of the waste of public money on the publication of her amazingly brief and bromidic deep thoughts.  Ugh...

enata Dumitrascu
jimmy

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 06:56:48 PM »

She did sort of sound like she was in "the big favor" business. Poetry publishing is a 2-way road: poet goes I GOT A BOOK! Publisher goes WE PUBLISHED THIS GREAT BOOK! If it's such a *big* favor, why are you doing it?

xxxjimmy

poetastin

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006, 09:45:18 PM »

Quote from: "Crimson"
one of these winners, who, no doubt...has the right race/residency/sexual orientation to be worthy of the waste of public money

Oh, come on - the politically oppressed foreigner you are, you could totally milk this. Pretend you're gay, get the slam dunk!

(And bring back the blog!)

I've inherited a tragedy...
jimmy

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2006, 10:33:32 PM »

That's fuzzy--is it Xander from Buffy?

xxxjimmy

Crimson

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2006, 12:12:11 AM »

Quote from: "jimmy"
If it's such a *big* favor, why are you doing it?
xxxjimmy

When her publishing accomplishments were read at the end of the interview, it sort of came together.  Running a press is a key resume building block for an aspiring writer, a huge negotiating tool in the poetry biz.  The quality of the work published is irrelevant, it's the winner's valuable connections that are the real prize (for the press director).  Imagine when the fucker refuses to "share", or acts like he fucking "earned it".  Imagine the gall!  As if she would publish poems like those she read, along with the pictures of bark, for the glory of art!

enata Dumitrascu
jimmy

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2006, 12:26:11 AM »

She did sound 95% straight-up. Maybe some authors have done nothing to promote their books: a huge author questionnaire is standard. Didn't Wils go after Red Hen or were they exonerated?

xxxjimmy

David James Callan

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2006, 02:01:05 PM »

I don't know why you think that sexual orientation gets people published. Being gay barely even gets me laid these days.

ALKING ABOUT COMEDY IS LIKE DANCING ABOUT ARCHITECTURE: STEVE MARTIN

I can be reached at:

16 Eldridge St. Apt. 14H
Manchester, CT 06040
(860) 647-6911
davidjamescallan@hotmail.com
jimmy

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2006, 02:49:31 PM »

I don't know what you mean. I never claimed anyone's sexuality got them published. That's just stupid.

xxxjimmy

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: