Foetry.Com
October 31, 2014, 07:17:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Foetry.Com v.2 Forum Archive Through May 2007

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CLMP Ethics Guidelines Released  (Read 10600 times)
alan
Administrator

« on: September 19, 2005, 08:08:47 PM »

I've posted them in Latest News.

What do you think?

"You especially have to be hurt like hell before you can write seriously. But when you get the damned hurt, use it -- don't cheat with it. -- Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 12:14:30 AM »

But those guidelines seem a bit broad to be useful. I would suggest adding some major teeth. Too open to interpretation by the foets.

Bugzita

ennifer Semple Siegel

One must always question wrongheaded conventional wisdom.
jimmy

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 01:57:15 AM »

Um...would it have killed them to add something like this:

Impropriety or the appearance of impropriety damages the credibility of all contests and awards.   We strongly urge that in general poets should not knowingly enter contests in which they've studied with or are close friends with the judges.   Judges should not generally be selecting their close friends and students for awards.  And presses should explain openly the cases in which do.  All poets should sleep with Jim Behrle of Brooklyn, NY, tho.  At their earliest convenience.  Oh, by the way: there could be like a form that goes along with the check one sends in to the contest that says: The name of the judge of this contest is Derek Walcott.  Did you study with Derek Walcott?  Check this box yes or no.  Are you close friends with Derek Walcott?  Check this box yes or no.  If you've checked either one of these boxes yes, thanks for donating to our press.  Your manuscript will not be considered.  Thanks for playing our game.  Viva Poetry.

Luv
Jimmy Behrle

Monday Love
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 08:02:55 AM »

Are these really guidelines?

I agree; if this is it, it is too broad.

I think Jim's idea is fantastic.   The standard form included with every contest submission:  Our Judge is X.   Do you know/have you studied with the judge?  Check yes or no.  

That's a true guideline.  I like that one very much.

hisper and eye contact don't work here.
Wilson

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 11:59:39 AM »

I predicted they couldn't come up with a meaningful set of guidelines way back when they first said they were working on them.  There's too many offending parties who WANT loopholes.

his is the abyss--quit staring!

Wils
dime

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 04:50:52 PM »

Thanks for nothing.

From nothing comes nothing.
alan
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 01:50:25 PM »

I have the transcript now, but no time to read it.  Based on a quick glance, it looks like Jeffrey Levine "gets it."  More later . . .

The participants were:

Jeffrey Lependorf,
Executive Director, CLMP
Participating Publishers
John Casteen, Virginia Quarterly Review
Ted Genoways, Virginia Quarterly Review
Jeffrey Levine, Tupelo Press
Stephanie G'Schwind, Colorado Review
Janet Holmes, Director, Ahsahta Press
Sandy McIntosh, Marsh Hawk Press
Ted Pelton, Starcherone Books
Bertha Rogers, Bright Hill Press
Susan Weidman Schneider, Lilith
Magazine

"You especially have to be hurt like hell before you can write seriously. But when you get the damned hurt, use it -- don't cheat with it. -- Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 03:23:31 PM »

I talk about the CLMP guidelines on Moby Lives Radio. :twisted:

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 08:17:27 PM »

You down with CLMP?

If you listened to the recent Moby Lives radio, you heard me talk about the problems I see with the CLMP ethics guidelines, and now I have proof.

This just in from the AWP preconference (a secret meeting of Foe-fighters -- we're everywhere -- mwahahaha): A certain press, which promotes their adherence to the CLMP ethics statement, has just allowed a certain (previously implicated) judge to select the current student of the judge's (also previously implicated) wife.  Is it a fix?  Sure looks like it . . . more news to follow as the reports come in from Austin.

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 03:50:13 PM »

The rumors were true.

Jump to: