Foetry.Com
April 20, 2014, 04:08:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Foetry.Com v.2 Forum Archive Through May 2007

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: poetry.com  (Read 8821 times)
borntorock

« on: July 03, 2005, 08:13:38 PM »

so now,

foetry gets money to let poetry.com advertise one of the biggest & longest running contest scams in poetry on foetry

how's that taste going down
mirsk

??
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 09:14:27 PM »

borntorock--perhaps because a cyber friend has installed all sorts of screening devices on my computer, to kill popups and keep me from having to rot my poetic mind reading ads, I don't understand your post. (If there's an ad for Poetry.com on the site, my magic screening deletes it). I do see the odd locked forum about commercializing the site, posted by alan, but immediately (at least in my time frame) locked. Driving me nuts, since I am fond of puzzles. So, tell on--what's happening?
alan
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 10:26:08 PM »

As I said in the forum about the new "look" on the site, I do not control what appears; 8o0gle uses keywords in the forums to place what's believed to be matches to what forum members might be interested in.  Thankfully, most of you are smart enough to discern the good from the bad.

Also, it doesn't hurt anyone to investigate the new b@nners, and it helps me to raise money.  I have spent nearly $1000 so far on the site and related fees.

"You especially have to be hurt like hell before you can write seriously. But when you get the damned hurt, use it -- don't cheat with it. -- Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2005, 07:30:34 AM »

uhuh.

irony properly ignored.
Vermeer

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2005, 09:22:07 AM »

tell the truth. You're really tempted by that poetry.com banner and the "huge prize.' Don't you just know you could bee the winnera nd rolling in dough? At least Alan isn't charging a "contest" fee to logon and make posts here. And he doesn't allow only his friends to post. Alternative views are welcome.
alan
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005, 10:10:31 AM »

I have found a way to exclude certain @ds that seem to offend our more sensitive (or is it slow?) members.  If anyone finds a certain 0ffer objectionable, you may contact me via private message to let me know.

Verm, I know who BTR really is: a walking National Library of Poetry.

"You especially have to be hurt like hell before you can write seriously. But when you get the damned hurt, use it -- don't cheat with it. -- Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2005, 11:25:13 AM »

heh, i'm just trying to help you not look foolish.
alan
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2005, 12:41:30 PM »

Quote from: "borntorock"
heh, i'm just trying to help you not look foolish.

Thanks BTR.  I know you've always been concerned about how I look to others.

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2005, 01:26:41 PM »

I AM concerned about poetry.com being advertised on this site. The Maryland Attorney General's office has been investigating them for years, but, evidently, they operate JUST inside the law--their contests are "free," so they don't quite fall into what foetry.com does, yet...THEY REEK!

And naive people continue to send their poems in, and--get this--my local newspaper used to print their "Press Releases"-- that is, until I wrote a letter to them explaining the scam; they never answered my letter, but the releases stopped appearing. I also suggested that they do an investigative piece, warning their readers about the scam and how it worked--I even provided links to website watchdogs, but nothing.

There's a lot of embarrassment involved once people discover they have been had by poetry.com, and will often not admit they have submitted to poetry.com AND bought one of their hideous volumes.

I warn my students upfront about this outfit and admit to them that years ago, I fell victim to them years ago--when they were still The National Library of Poetry--submitted a poem, and bought their awful book. Even after I tell students this, they still want to submit, so I have each student come up with a lousy line of poetry, and I put together a "poem"; then I submit it to their website. Sure enough, three weeks later, I receive a letter fawning over my poetry and my sense of artistry--that my "poem" has been accepted for inclusion for "Love Is Beautiful, part V," and I'm a semi-finalist for the big $10,000 prize. That usually cures them.

I hear what you're saying, Alan, about personal expenses mounting up, but is there any way to get in touch with google and explain how the poetry scam works? Google, from what I hear, will pull offensive ads altogether.

As for others who are criticizing Alan for going commericial, are you willing to put your money where your mouth is, and send Alan a few bucks (cash) so that he doesn't have bear the financial load of this war on his own?

I'm not so concerned about the posters on this forum; most of us can smell a scam a mile away. But poetry.com (and its numerous subsidiaries, such as Noble House) is the giant of bottom-feeder sucking organizations that prey on the young and misinformed.

I'd love to see them closed down forever, and, if possible, prosecuted.

Bugzita

ennifer Semple Siegel

One must always question wrongheaded conventional wisdom.
alan
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 03:53:07 PM »

According to this weblog,

Pulitzer Prize winner
W.D. Snodgrass

David Wagoner, past Chancellor of the Academy of American Poets

Dr. Len Roberts, ISP Educational Director

Dr. Herbert Woodward Martin

Prof. Grace Cavalieri

Poet Laureate of Delaware, Dr. Fleda Brown

Laini Mataka, considered one of the nation's finest spoken word artists

Dr. Michael Glaser

Dr. Gary Fincke

Prof. Kenneth Carroll [/list]

were "judges" for Poetry.com this year.  I don't know what's sadder, Jorie Graham giving a prize to Peter Sacks, or "real" poets preying on the people who send poems/$$$ to Poetry.com.

Jump to: