Foetry.Com
August 30, 2014, 12:19:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Foetry.Com v.2 Forum Archive Through May 2007

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I Missing Something??  (Read 3398 times)
suzanart

« on: June 17, 2005, 01:54:58 PM »

I have just read the article in the LA Times with a lot of interest as I intuitively think the same issue applies in the fine art world.  There are many competitive arenas for artists that costs a lot of money as well.  Alan, I know you are into doing this kind of research.  Perhaps, once your issue is put to bed you could begin researching the art world.

Nevertheless, the quote of Ezra Pound in the Times article "it really matters that great poems get written and it doesn't matter a damn who writes them",  seems profound to me.  Lucy will 'splain.

Why don't the poets when entering a contest be given a "number", so that the judges will  judge solely on the written words, not who they might be?  It seems like such a simple solution; to the point where I cannot imagine all these very bright people did not think of it.  So, my point is, am I missing something?

uzanart
missblue

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 02:36:24 PM »

Yes, you're missing a lot.  Just read the forums a little and you'll catch up.

For starters, teachers know their student's work.   They help shape it.  Giving the ms. a number means nothing.
suzanart

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 02:44:25 PM »

Thank you Miss Blue.  I understand now.  I knew my idea was a bit simplistic.  I apologize for my naivety.

uzanart
Kate Bernadette Benedict

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 05:56:18 PM »

Also, even in some supposedly anonymous contests, the judge just "happens" to be given a complete list of entrants and is free to make sure that a recognized person's manuscript makes the final cut.

i]I gotta lotta livin' to do.[/i]
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: