Foetry.Com
April 16, 2014, 08:48:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Foetry.Com v.2 Forum Archive Through May 2007

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is Jeffrey Levine a suitable choice to head the new Crazyhorse/Tupelo Press Publising Institute?  (Voting closed: May 31, 2007, 12:16:16 AM)
In my estimation, Jeffrey Levine is suitable for the position. - 20 (26.3%)
In my estimation, Jeffrey Levine is not suitable for the position. - 56 (73.7%)
Total Voters: 14

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: The CRAZYHORSE/TUPELO PRESS PUBLISHING INSTITUTE  (Read 31351 times)
Ed Dupree

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2007, 09:38:17 AM »

Credibility! Prophesy! Aaaaiiieee!!!

Could it be, we are not free? It might be worth looking into."
                    --Samuel Beckett, Molloy
Expatriate Poet

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 01:15:45 PM »

Ed Dupree wrote:

Credibility! Prophesy! Aaaaiiieee!!!

But say it, Ed, don't just "Aaaaiiieee!!!" it.  It's so sleazy it's just got to be said!

And "Revision and the Publsher's Eye?" Forget a $295.00 nose job--it's a state of the art face-lift with platimum opticals in a boutique case studded with rubies and rub-offs!"

Christopher Woodman
Monday Love
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2007, 03:19:10 PM »

The Tupelo press release says nothing about the contest, which is the major feature of the institute.  Apparently "editing and publishing" and "contest" are the same thing.

Jeff Levine, esteemed, award-winning poet and editor, will provide real world insights, such as,

1. How to Count Submission Fees

2. The Critique Letter

3. Publishing Those Who Publish You

4. P.T. Barnum and Poetry--Did you know P.T. Barnum was a poet?

5.  The University, the Journal, the Book, the Contest, Friends, Credibility, Gullible Students, and Hard Cold Cash.   How They Work Together.

hisper and eye contact don't work here.
Monday Love
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2007, 03:25:01 PM »

Jeff Levine =  P.T. Eliot

Monday Love
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2007, 03:28:11 PM »

The Wealth Land by P.T. Eliot

Chinatown

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2007, 07:03:23 PM »

Shad,

It took you 4 attempts to compose your silly comment. That says something about you.

--------------------------------------
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."
Expatriate Poet

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2007, 11:02:44 PM »

April 26th in LA at Ruskin Arts Club:

Dinner workshop with Jeffrey Levine
(poet-publisher, Tupelo Press):
“Poetry, Prophecy, Revision and the Publisher’s Eye”

6-10pm
$75 with dinner

So here's some ADVANCED COPY for you reporters covering the event:

Revision and the Publisher's Eye

Forget the $295.00 nose job--we're talking much more profitable revision now, we're talking way beyond that. This is the cutting-edge makeover, the state of the art face-lift that looks better even than what comes out of your most distinquished Workshop Clinic! We're talking Tupelo, we're talking Jeffrey Levine, we're talking Poet, Prophet, Publisher and The Eye of the Publisher. We're talking platinum opticals in a boutique case studded with pearls of wisdom!"

Shop your fashion statement here and look right for the job!

Christopher Woodman
leander

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2007, 05:21:11 PM »

I see that the application deadline has been extended for the Tupelo/Crazyhorse publishing institute scheduled for this summer.  It's reassuring to observe the quiet good sense of so many who have declined to participate in this proud yet silly endeavor.

Leander
Expatriate Poet

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2007, 11:50:22 PM »

You're an astute reader, Leander--I would never have noticed the deadline for the Crazyhorse/Tupelo Press Publishing Institute had been extended--because on the Crazyhorse site the organizers have simply REMOVED THE DEADLINE!

Yes, they're clear about when the program starts, June 4th, but have deleted all the information about when to apply.

So take note, all you graduate students who can afford the fees of this new so-called "Publishing Institute," you'll be accepted no matter when or what. And if that fills you with hope, why you'll never be disappointed again in your life!

And if you're thinking about sending a manuscript to Tupelo for their July Open Reading or subsequent competitions, try this for helpful information (from www.tupelopress.org)!

The Tupelo Press Website says:

Competitions:

Dorset Prize
The Dorset Prize is an open poetry competition, for which begins in September.
The Dorset Prize Submission Period for 2006 is Closed

Snowbound Series Chapbook Award
This is an open poetry chapbook competition which begins in December.
The Snowbound Chapbook Award Prize Submission Period for 2007 is Closed

Annual Tupelo Press Poetry Contest
The deadline for the Annual Tupelo Press/Crazyhorse First Book of Poetry Contest has now passed.
Thanks to everyone who submitted to this contest.

July Open Submissions:

Every July, Tupelo Press accepts book-length submissions of poetry, creative literary non-fiction, and memoirs.
All 2006 July Open Submissions must have been postmarked by July 31, 2006. Submissions posted at a later date will not be accepted.

Got it?

Indeed,  I would say this is a perfect example of the whole Tupelo operation's modus operandi--diddle, dawdle and doodle!

Christopher Woodman
Expatriate Poet

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2007, 01:54:18 AM »

I think at this point we need a bit of a summary:

First of all, I'd like to remind everybody, and particularly you new visitors, I was sent a letter last November signed by Jeffrey Levine himself, the Editor-in-Chief and Publisher of the Tupelo Press, which posed as a personal critique of the manuscript I sent him for his last Open Reading in July. As it turned out my personal critique was a carefully crafted form letter that played cruelly on my hopes and aspirations as a struggling poet. But there was more. The letter also suggested that if I sent Jeffrey Levine an additional $295.00 (check made out to him personally, not to Tupelo!) he would give me an even more detailed, page by page critque of my work AND a private, 30 day extension for his next competition AND a bye through the first round of cuts. When I pointed out to him that this sort of favoritism would compromise the progress of the very different manuscript I had already submitted to the second competition he refused to acknowledge any of the improprieties, and to this day has not reimbursed fees to any of the 100s of poets whose trust was similarly abused--in both the July Open and Dorset Prize readings. Indeed, he hasn't even acknowledged the existence of the scandal--just read his letter in the current Poets & Writers if you don't believe me (it's quoted in full above)!

So that's why I'm here now, all 67 years of me with my own name and my own photo. A person like me should never have been so duped, and that was my 8th submission to the Tupelo Press too! And there were 100s of others equally vulnerable I feel sure! So read carefully the evidence that is revealed on this site, dear visitors, then you won't find yourself a victim of such unprincipled scheming as well.

And the scheming is for what? To be great is the dangerous part, I think, though the money is very considerable too--above all to put on the mantle of the Great Editor, the PUBLISHER OF POETRY PAR EXCELLENCE! And make no mistake about it, he is an influential editor, Jeffrey Levine--and that's precisely why I'm here. I'm doing what I can to help this small, despised but dedicated site to defend Poetry itself against this man's gigantic, tasteless egotism!

And if I'm wrong? Tell me, good friends--come on this site and tell me why I'm wrong.

Someone named "rperlman" argued elsewhere on this site that Jeffrey Levine's poetry should not be held hostage to his conduct as an editor--perhaps "rperlman" could come back and tell us why Jeffrey Levine's selection to head the Crazyhorse/Tupelo Press Publishing Institute should not be held hostage to his conduct as an editor either! (You can view "rperlman's" arguments at this URL:  http://foetry.com/newbb/viewtopic.php?t=1067&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15  )

I open myself right up here on this site--come on, "rperlman," let's hear your arguments on this angle too!

Christopher

Christopher Woodman
Expatriate Poet

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2007, 08:39:06 AM »

BREAKING NEWS: It's just been revealed that Robert Perlman is the man, and he quotes himself ad nauseum to the acclaim of his own students on a SUNY at Buffalo site.

If you want to know what he says about Foetry, AGNI and Jeffrey Levine try  http://listserv.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0704&L=poetics&D=1&O=D&P=3976

What's sad is that his correspondents are obviously very young and know even less about socio-political realities than he does!

Christopher Woodman
Monday Love
Administrator

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2007, 10:06:58 AM »

Robert Perlman is an ignorant person.

He asks, 'why are we picking on poets?'   Foetry is not picking on poets.  We are defending poetry.    Perlman thinks that because poets, as a tribe, have generally no money and no influence, we should not care who they are or what they do.   Perlman cannot imagine anything beyond his own wretched little mind.  He thinks the issue is one of 'picking on poets.'  The fool.   Stupid, ignorant man.   If poetry has now reached such a nadir in American life that it is now considered an activity like pressing flowers, or needle work, so that absolutely no one cares who poets are or what they do, then yes, for this moment in history, it does appear that the least doubt which is cast on these nice people, these poets, is nothing more than time and energy wasted, at best, and bullying and defamation, at worst.

Poetry will always be potentially influential.  Poetry, itself, is not dead yet.  If poets are small and easily picked on, and cannot defend themselves because they are 'easily cowed by words' as perlman says, is this Foetry's fault?   No, it is not; the ignorant perlman is confusing cause and effect.  He is blaming Foetry because poets have no influence.  He is blaming Foetry because no one reads poetry or cares about poets.   Perlman is part of the problem, and this is why he gets so hot and bothered when the problem is poked at with an examining rod.

Perlman says Jeff Levine's mixing his roles as editor and contest administrator was a "mistake," and "mistakes" are "human."   A mistake??
Robert Perlman, are you really such an ass?  Were you born yesterday?  A mistake?   This is the modus operandi of the whole rotten system, you dunce!  Levine's behavior is the worm in the apple--it is the very disease that is the rot that is infecting the tooth.   A "mistake?"  

Perlman himself is the rot which talks.  Listen to him to learn what is wrong with poetry.

alan
Administrator

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2007, 10:21:25 AM »

Just so we are clear: Bob Perelman spells his last name differently than rperlman.  I wrote to each about a week ago and asked for verification. Neither replied.  I believe rperlman has no real interest in the issues; he's just here (and apparently elsewhere too) trying to make trouble for the site.

"You especially have to be hurt like hell before you can write seriously. But when you get the damned hurt, use it -- don't cheat with it.” -- Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2007, 08:31:22 PM »

One way to tell a person is full of hot air is when they make impassioned arguments which contradict each other, within the space of a paragraph or two. On the one hand, Perlman wants to denigrate and dismiss Foetry by describing it as "a librarian and five followers." Then, in the next rhetorical breath, he is bemoaning how influential Foetry has been in ruining Levine's reputation.

One thing I don't think he seems to understand is that statements about a public figure, no matter how damaging they are, don't constitute defamation if they are factually accurate. Nor can negative personal opinions about public figures be construed as defamation.
Expatriate Poet

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2007, 12:24:40 AM »

Monday Love wrote:

Perlman says Jeff Levine's mixing his roles as editor and contest administrator was a "mistake," and "mistakes" are "human." A mistake??

Robert Perlman, are you really such an ass? Were you born yesterday? A mistake? This is the modus operandi of the whole rotten system, you dunce! Levine's behavior is the worm in the apple--it is the very disease that is the rot that is infecting the tooth. A "mistake?"

Robert Perlman (a.k.a "rperlman," a.k.a ???) clearly doesn't understand that there are mistakes and there are mistakes!

1.) A Priest who has a sexual encounter with a consenting adult in his bedroom may be forgiven, with a child, male or female, behind the altar or wherever, never--that Priest has betrayed not only his humanity but his divinity as well, and should be banned from his position forever.

2.) A Stock Market Regulator who is overheard discussing insider information with a close friend in a bar after work may be forgiven, one who solicits money in exchange for the same insider information must be banned from his position forever.

3.) A Head of the World Bank who has a dalliance in his office may be forgiven, one who arranges for the object of his affections to be given an advantage over his or her colleagues in the promotion and salary race should be banned from his position forever.

4.) A Close Aid to the President of the United States who shoots his colleague in the face by accident may be forgiven, a Close Aid to the President of the United States who distorts classified information in such a way that anyone anywhere in the world can be shot in the face should be banished from his position forever.

5.) An Editor-in-Chief & Publisher of a Distinguished Press who inadvertently allows a single ex-student or acquaintance to enter a fee-paying competition he or she is judging may be forgiven if there is immediate full disclosure followed by a public apology, the blunder is appropriately rectified, and the glitch never happens again. An E-in-C & P of a DP who tricks 100s of fee-paying hopefuls with a form letter that pretends to be a personal critique, who tries to solicit an additional $295.00 from each of them in exchange for favors, and who then goes on to allow manuscripts he has personally improved to advance ahead of other fee-paying hopefuls should be banished forever--and even more emphatically if this E-in-C & P of a DP has announced to the whole world that he is the fairest of them all!

And why? Because the leopard has revealed his true spots (venality, duplicity and monumental arrogance) for the whole world to see and can never be mistaken for a lamb ever again. By the same token Jeffrey Levine has revealed that he is not to be trusted as a contest administrator, and should be barred not only from administering contests at the Tupelo Press but from teaching potential contest administrators at the Crazyhorse/Tupelo Press Publishing Institute.  That's our position--that's what we're about.

..........The more integrity is

...............a.) expected

...............b.) promised

..........the more absolute must be the retribution!

If anyone cares to argue against the finality of any of these cases, this is the forum for you. We're listening--we'll give you all the space you need, will attend to each and every word of your defence, and will acknowledge our errors if your reasons prevail. Indeed, we have nothing whatever to hide.

What about you?

Christopher Woodman
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: