Foetry.Com
October 31, 2014, 05:46:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Foetry.Com v.2 Forum Archive Through May 2007

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reduce the number of forums  (Read 9097 times)
Matt
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2007, 07:42:21 AM »

Quote from: "Expatriate Poet"
A great improvement, Matt. Many, many thanks for a restructuring that must have taken up every moment of that precious day off!

One other idea--could the Hot Spot box at the beginning of the Index stand open all the time? Could a visitor see immediately the kinds of topics it includes without having to click on it? Because obviously visitors will come looking for "Tupelo Press" but may well be surprised to see a highly developed discussion on the topic "Judging Poetry and Integrity" what is more one on "The End of Biblical and Greek References?"

Many thanks again, Christopher

Hi Christopher,

I would have preferred something like that, but the software requires a hierarchy of Category (i.e., Hot Topics), Forum (i.e., Active and Popular Topics), Threads (Tupelo, etc.).

Threads have to be buried in Forums, that is.

The only solution would be to name the Forum the same thing as the Thread and list all the Forums individually under the Category on the index pages.  I chose not to do that because 1) it's redundant and still requires clicking twice to get to the link, and 2) It would end up making the index page longer.

But . . . I'm not sure what is best.  Maybe I should just accept the redundancy and elongated index page.

What do you think?

Yours,
Matt

Funk not only moves, it can RE-move, dig?"
      --Sir Lollipop Man (Alias, the Long-Haired Sucker)
Matt
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2007, 08:18:51 AM »

Christopher and all,

I discovered that the forum descriptions can use HTML and implemented a work around for Hot Topics.

Please let me know how this works for you.  Is it better like this than tucked into an "Active and Popular Topics" Forum?

Thanks,
Matt

Funk not only moves, it can RE-move, dig?"
      --Sir Lollipop Man (Alias, the Long-Haired Sucker)
Expatriate Poet

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2007, 10:30:37 PM »

I like this very much, Matt--the "GO THERE NOW" button is very likely to get visitors started without having to make too many decisions. I have a feeling that many enter www.foetry.com for a whiff of sulphur, and finding themselves face to face with Bugzita and "Touch Me" is going to be little short of ambrosial! Down one and they're going to click into Adam's cogent argument on References, an enitirely different sort of voice, and a sane one too, and then one more click and there into  the OUTRAGE they probably came looking for in the first place! So all that's not only great but honest--in other words, they get the whole picture in just 3 clicks!

Three additional suggetions:
1.) Remove the Link from the titles, "Judging Poetry and Integrity" and "The End of Biblical and Greek References?" and leave just the "GO THERE NOWS" as hot-links. I myself found it confusing to have two different ways of entering the first time I went in.

2. Place "Suggestions: Reduce the Number of Forums" at the end of the Hot Spot box, not at the beginning of it.

3. Add "Foet of the Year" to the hot-spot items--place it just before "Suggestions"--and if possible set it up as both a poll and a discussion thread. I'm sure it will generate a lot of interest if it's easily available.

Also if possible let anyone vote, not just members--or have one poll for members and another for visitors (wow!).

Finally, somehow leave space for people to comment either on their own votes or on the overall tallies.

Thanks so much for all your time and care, Matt,
 Christopher

Christopher Woodman
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: